Week 2 is almost behind us, here are the Quick Hits:
1) Tom Brady is playing out of his mind – In two weeks he has put up a 517 yard game and a 423 yard game. He has thrown for seven touchdowns. Try stopping him. If not for his recent Uggs commercial he would be in contention for greatest man alive.
2) We could be looking at a Packers / Patriots Super Bowl – These have been the two most impressive teams thus far. No offense meant to the Saints, Bills, Texans or Jets. The Super Bowl could have a final score of 48 – 45 the way these teams play defense.
3) Tony Romo comes up big – Sure the 49ers horribly choked away this game (thanks again for all the memories Alex Smith!) but that would underestimate the contribution of Big Tony. Throwing for 350+ yards and 3 tds with a broken rib takes real guts. Romo had no choice but to step in and show real grit. The victory means more than anything else.
4) Remember when it took two seasons for the Lions to get two wins? – Not anymore thanks to Matt “Please, please, please, please, please Stay Healthy” Stafford. When he plays, he is for real. Another great day for the former number one pick.
5) Cam Newton? – Newton is still raw but he is showing real promise, a ton of it because he has developed a good connection with Steve Smith. A couple of dicey decisions but otherwise a solid performance. He may want to stay away from Charles Woodson in the future though. Props to Andy Dalton as well for his fine performance.
6) Injuries continue – Jamaal Charles out for the season. It takes a couple of key guys every year to remind us just how violent and brutal the sport is.
7) Still not sure what to make of the Jets – Can Mark Sanchez carry a team to the promised land? I still have no idea, and I do not believe we will find out any time soon. Some of the throws he makes are Eli Manning-outrageous confidence-esque. He has too much faith in his own abilities than he should have.
8) Rex Grossman 2-0 – Can the season get any more bizarre than this stat?
Until next week.