The NFL is back and in the past week we have seen some shocking player moves. Usually this sort of movement would take place over several months, but due to the lockout it is all happening right now within the span of a week. It is sort of like a binge of free agency, and it has inspired some crazy moves.
Some of the biggest:
1) Kevin Kolb to the Cards – Sort of like this move but Kolb has started 7 games so most of his potential is still speculative. At the very least Larry Fitzgerald has someone that seems to be able to throw him the ball.
2) The Jets go wild – No one has made more of a “win now” splash like the Jets. They are putting it all on the line and going after both the top offensive (Santonio Holmes: signed) and defensive (Nnamdi Asomugha: potentially signing?) free agents. No one is making more of a move to jump to the top. If they can line up Asomugha and Revis at the corners? Unbeatable as long as everyone stays healthy. Small caveat…everything still rides on Mark Sanchez…but if they can score 7 points, they can hold anyone with their defense. Sure the games will be boring but they will win every low-scoring affair.
3) The Pats jump in on another head case and another… – Dropping Randy Moss was surprising; picking up Albert Haynesworth could be a game changer. If Haynesworth goes into “eff you” mode and plays like he can, the Pats will again be near the top of the league. The AFC East is prepping for battle and could be where the SuperBowl is decided. Then again, Bill Belichek just picked up Chad OchoCinco… From my buddy A-Dub: “Does Belichek make him change his name back?”
4) Reggie Bush to the Dolphins – Reggie gets another chance at stardom and hopefully he can make the most of it. The Fins may still be a QB away from really contending. Hope Reggie can make it happen, he still remains one of the best players I have ever seen live when I watched him put on a show against Arkansas during his Heisman winning season.
5) Seriously? Another Alex Smith Year? – Is there no one better for the 9ers to put at QB? Could they not have gone all in on Hasselback? Or even Tavaris Jackson for gods sake? They have a good core (VD, Crabs) but refuse to get over the hump due to their terrible QB play. So disappointed.
6) McNabb / Favre, sad for the legends – Two legends of the game, reduced to a couple of teams that they can no longer carry. If Favre backs up Mike Vick, that will end up being a terrible situation for him. There is no way he sits on the bench, and Vick will not be playing himself out of his starting spot. Favre could be a cancer on that team and continues to tarnish his legacy. Can he not just stay retired? For McNabb, he should probably have moved to a backup role somewhere but has not realized yet that he is past his prime. With the Vikes, as long as he plays mistake free he can be okay. Looks like AP will be getting a lot of carries.
Free Agency craziness will definitely continue, get ready because it will only get better.